re: prerecorded loops

Most of the time I'm turned off by prerecorded loops. A lot of
performances
have lost points with me because the musicians put on a cd of the musical
background and simply soloed over it. The same goes for pre-programmed
drum
machines. To me it's a turnoff. Part of the challenge behind making a live
solo (or small group) performance work is to find ways to do everything
you
need onstage, which includes cutting some elements that might not be
necessary.

But then again, I come from a very improvisational background.

Also, my latest live performances have been built entirely on prerecorded
loops. Those have been a different approach though. It involves getting 4
tape recorders of different field recordings to sound good together. Most
of
the loops are not in recognizeable rhythmic patters, and I what I do with
them is rarely something I planned the night before.

I'm feeling a little ill today, so please forgive me if this message comes
off as a little too something or other.

Matt
www.mp3.com/mattdavignon