Re: Electrix/IVL petition

On Friday, July 12, 2002, at 10:43 AM, Mark Hamburg wrote:

> My point had been, if you lost the IVL proprietary stuff would there be
> something interesting to do with the hardware or would people feel that
> without things like the pitch shifting and time stretching the machine
> was
> essentially gutted?

If we were given the hardware specs, and a basic operating system, I
believe that the potential of the unit would be reached. At the moment,
everything is closed source. The hardware, software, everything. If it
stays like this, then there will be no futher Repeater development.

Without being flamed again (maybe I was misunderstood a few weeks
back?), I still believe that the Repeater has the potential to wipe the
floor of the EDP... but I was just talking about the hardware specs. It
has a faster processor, more controls, able to access more memory.....
But comparing the Repeater to the EDP with loopIV is like comparing the
original EDP (with the original software) to the Repeater. OS1.1 has a
lot of quirks for live looping....

I really do hope that IVL feel generous and charitable enough to release
enough information to allow the people who believe in the Repeater to
continue to develop this unit.

However, I have a gut feeling that IVL will just say no. :(

--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com