Re: Is the music scene better in Europe?

>   I've noticed lately, that allot of my favorite musicians have been
> spending more time touring Europe and seemingly less time in the States.
> Maybe it's just perception, but is the live music scene and music
> appreciation just better in Europe?
>   From what I gather, the Europeans appear to be a bit more adventurous
> in the music they listen to. Also, the civic support for musical events
> seems to be better and more varied than in the U.S.
>   This is not to say that there isn't support for interesting and
> experimental music in the U.S....
>
>   Perhaps in Europe the support is wider and more lucrative?

Greg,

I think it's just that foreigners are more exotic and interesting...
seriously, I find it really hard to get gigs in London, and much much
easier
in Calfornia - partly cos people will come out to see 'the guy from
England', whereas in London, 'the guy from Southgate' doesn't really have
the same quality to it... :o)

There is a scene over here, but it's pretty narrowly defined - if you're
not
weird enough, one crowd won't book you, if you're not jazz enough, another
crowd won't book you, etc. etc... If you're a solo bassist who plays nice
tunes mixed in with FSU-electronica influenced stuff (just wait for my next
album... :o) then you've got no chance...

..although, changes are afoot - watch this space for groovy news of rather
big tour for me in the not too distant future...

sorry, I'm rambling. The scene is what you make it - go to Santa Cruz and
Rick Walker IS the scene - not because he fits the scene, but because he
created his own, with over 25 years of seriously hard work and creativity.
He's a huge inspiration to me to stop complaining about the scene here in
London and start to try and create my own space...

cheers

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk