Re: Using the Behringer FCB1010 midi controller w/ echoplex

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 01:13  AM, Kim Flint wrote:

>> So I found that I had to add 2 to each MIDI note number to get it to
>> work.  Why?  No idea.
>
> do you have the Source# parameter of the EDP set to the default, 36? I
> can't understand why the behringer would be off by two. that is strange.

Maybe it's a German thing?

> Otherwise, you choose whether you want notes or cc messages to be used
> for the main function controls, using controlsource parameter as you
> already are. With the behringer pedal we've already established that cc
> doesn't work for this.

Wait, are you saying that they're the same numbers?  If MIDI note #38
triggers record, will CC# 38 (value 64) do the same thing?  I just
reread the manual and it surely does not say this.

> William Burroughs wrote the EDP manual, maybe that wasn't such a good
> idea.
>
> I've actually just started the project that will surely drive me mad,
> revising the EDP manual. so feel free to overwhelm me with suggestions.

You sure my mom didn't write the manual?  Why my mom?  Because she's a
librarian, and the main reason the EDP manual is so confusing is because
it's in alphabetical order, which makes no sense at all.  That's where
I'd start.  What's there isn't bad, it's just all over the place.  It
talks about the CC stuff on page 4-11, (doesn't say what numbers do
what) then it talks about Note # on 4-71!  My suggestion would be to
reorder the manual, but not change what's there.  Add to it.  After each
function, give a little real world example tutorial.  Maybe we could
write them, and someone edit them.

>>   I want to set up the EDP so it will automatically record 4 bars and
>> then go into overdub, and although I know it can be done, I don't see
>> it clearly described in the manual.
>
> You're really gonna want LoopIV to do things like that, since that is
> where features like TempoSelect let you preset the tempo and the
> 8ths/cycle parameter has enough options to record things like you want.
> Are you syncing to midi clock or no?

Oh man.  My EDP is already obsolete!  D'OH.  I do plan on getting it, I
just figured I'd tackle Loop3 first.  I am synching to MIDI.

> a lot of people seem to be finding that one does not replace the other.

Right, but unfortunately there will be no choice very soon.