Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

jonathanyandel@msn.com writes, in reply to kim:

>This is because language really has little to do with reality--words are
>just sounds that we have come to associate with real-life objects.
ummm, uhhhh:
says whom?
*-))
i've often heard it opined that hebrew, aramaic, amharic, sanskrit,
dakini-language etc.  have purported to actually *embody/essentialise*
objects/actions/experiences via their 'sonic' representation.....
could be mythic, of course, but.....

>Does
>the word "pen" imply only a writing utensil, or can it be used as (thanks
>to Joe Pesci) a weapon?  Is a bucket still a bucket when banged on like
>a drum, or sat on like a stool, or used to carry water?
>Words can only
>convey a small part of life--that is what, in my opinion, music and art
>is for in the first place.
i might partially agree w/that, in principle --- but it merely seems like
socio-cultural laziness & a certain lack of intellectual
self-responsibility
that allow us to deny our capacity to verbally express.....

kim said:
>> The nuance of choosing one word over another is gone. Why do you want
>that?
>> Let the words be distinct and hold clear meaning.
i concur.
and:
where words *cannot* 'be distinct and hold clear meaning', would that a
truckload of well-intentioned effort in that regard does not cease.....

>>If all the words begin
>> mean everything, than you won't be able to say anything at all. Strange,
>> and this isn't the only place I notice this happening. I think Orwell
>was
>> making that point in 2x4 fashion, he just got the year wrong

>Life doesn't work in neat little categories.  There are so many things
>that words just can't grasp.
if i can't find the proper words to use, maybe i just need to learn more
about the language(s) and their realtion to my experience?
anyway, i'll continue trying.

words do not grasp; people who are intent on communicating can assist
others
in grasping their meaning through their clear useage, though:
words as pointers/signifiers, where technical 'descriptors' fail:
words like paintbrushes on the canvas of the psyche & ephemera.
and:
there are many, many important arenas in life wherein a well-chosen word
is
the better medium/conveyance than music would be.....
i don't think that music is an *improvement* (over words), as a
communication-skill:
they're simply very different.

>Again, that's why we need music...
no, that's not why; or, it's clearly not why *i* make music!
best,
dt / splattercell