loops w/ live groups

Although I have the deepest respect for Fripp and his approach to looping, I suppose what really interests me is the use of loops with a live band--you know, not just soundscapes and drones, but also more rhythmical loops.  However, getting these to sync up to a drummer (or vice versa) can be a bit of a challenge, at least to a relatively new "loopist".  I just figured I'd throw this question out there and hopefully get some help: any tips on syncing loops up with a real drummer (the first track off of the Bruford Levin Upper Extremities cd is a great example)?  Right now I'm using a Jamman (thanks Mark!), so the possibility of taking advantage of MIDI could work, if it supplied a click track for my drummer...

Sorry if this distracts some of you from the loop as fx vs loop as instrument debate 8^)

jonathan