Re: loops w/ live groups

I had a great jam on the streets of Paris the other day with a bass
clarinetist from Canada called Phil D'Gi (he's a street entertainer
there)... and it was probably the first performance using loops that
actually worked. He just turned up whilst I was playing and begging for
money and asked "Can I play?". Normally I'm quite hesitant about
jamming, because the DL4 is pretty restrictive with changing the tempo,
and most musicians have difficulty playing to what I call an open/closed
BPM loop (In other words, a loop that is played imperfectly tempo-wise,
but repeats perfectly every time)

Anyway, we jammed for about an hour, and at one stage, had over 100
people around us.... freeform jazz - most of the accompianment coming
from the DL4/Violin, very tight performance. People asked us how long we
had been playing together.... and just would not believe that we had
just met... I never did see him again after that day....

The only other time I've used loops comfortably with other people was at
an art gallery last month. My student had just purchased a 6-string
electric violin, a talented singer/songwriter turned up with his guitar,
and a percussionist arrived without drums.... but 5 minutes of searching
found himself with a couple of bins and shaky things to hit. Again, it
was total impro.... and it worked.

I'm rambling...... need coffee..... just woken up..... deficating from
the brain..... :)
--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com