Re: Starting a fixed length loop in Loop31

At 06:15 PM 7/26/2002, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>OK, a while ago Kim mentioned that one could set up the EDP to start
>recording, go a certian preset amount of bars, and then auto end the loop,
>going into overdub.  I'm synched to the midi clock of a drum machine (a
>Roland
>MC-307) and have it set up so it quantizes my loop (waits for the "one" to
>start recording)

For LoopIII, you can do this sort of thing with midi clock in. With LoopIV
you can do it without any clock. so you are on the right path, here is
what
you do:

Set 8ths/cycle to match the length of loop cycle you want. The default is
8
eighth notes, which of course is one bar of 4/4. Unfortunately in LoopIII,
8ths/cycle only goes to 20. So if you are playing in 4/4, setting to 16
for
two bars is the best you can get. (In LoopIV it goes to 256.)

Start the sequencer so midi clock is being sent. You will see the sync LED
blink with the downbeat.

Tap Record shortly after. You will see 'ooo' on the display while it is
waiting to start recording.

At the next cycle point (as defined by when you started the clock and
8ths/cycle), Recording will start automatically.

Press Overdub sometime after that. You can be lazy about when. The 'ooo'
will appear on the display again while it waits for the next cycle point.

When the cycle point comes, record will end automatically and the loop
will
start looping with overdub on. The loop length will match the tempo and
remain in sync.

Note: If you were in Delay mode (loop/delay parameter), you would end with
Record instead of Overdub. In Delay mode the input to the delay is always
open, so that is effectively like doing Record->Overdub in Loop mode.

This process is not so automated that you only have to press one button,
but we made it such that it only requires two presses. it is like that for
a reason. The option is left open for you to decide if you want to end
with
Record, multiply, overdub, insert, reverse, etc. So you have flexibility
in
what function you enter once the initial loop is recorded. It is also left
open for you to decide how many cycles make up the initial record. So
while
8ths/cycle may be set to 8, if you let it keep going it will start
counting
up cycles. (representing bars in the case of 8ths/cycle=8). You will see
the multiple counter incrementing in time to the drum machine. when you
have as many bars recorded as you want, press Record to end. (or some
other
function to go into when the cycle is reached.) The cycle will round off
and start looping, while staying in sync.

The nice thing about the quantizing for both starting record and ending
record is it lets you be very imprecise about when you press the buttons.
If your attention is diverted to playing some other instrument, you don't
have to concentrate very much about when you press the buttons on the EDP
-
the machine will take care of the rhythm for you. This is really helpful.
Just tap Record somewhere ahead of when you want to start recording, and
tap again somewhere before you want to end.

>I asked this a little while ago, and the response was, "really ought to
>get
>Loop4..." but I'm sure I heard of this function long before Loop4 was out.

let me know if you have questions about the above. I think that is what
you
are looking for.

LoopIV adds the ability to do this without midi clock in, using the tempo
select function. So anytime you can set a tempo or call one up from a
preset and do these more automated Records to it. You can also set
8ths/cycle over a much wider range, as noted before.

Also in LoopIV, quantizing determines whether you wait for the cycle point
to start recording or not. (In LoopIII it waited no matter what.) So in
LoopIV if you have quantize off, Pressing Record while sync is coming in
starts immediately. It will still understand the loop length based on the
clock and round off correctly to the right lengths after you end record.
Only with quantizing do you still see the 'ooo' after you tap record, and
it is just like LoopIII.

hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.
kim