Re: Repeater clock out.

On Sunday, July 28, 2002, at 02:00  PM, Kim Flint wrote:
>  Probably it was after many nights drowning their repeater sorrows at
> the local karaoke bar that they got inspired to change direction to
> karaoke.

HA!  Now that's funny.

Interesting though to see that the Repeater's "issues" come from not
just software, but hardware issues.

I also feel like this list is a bit of a EDP club, and a lot of the
Repeater's "issues" have been focused on more than they deserve.  Sure,
the Repeater's clock out is sketchy.  I'm not sure how hard that would
be to fix.  I have no idea.  However, is there anything that can chase
clock out there like it can?  In real time?  Nope.  Stereo?  Nope.  Real
time pitch shifting? Uh-uh.  Why not EDP, is your processor to puny? ;)

A lot of people complain about the "bump" while recording a loop.  I had
to go out of my way to notice it.  It's really slight, and only audible
when there's pretty much nothing going on in your loop, but a straight
drone.

A lot of people complain about the latency.  It's not that bad.  Put it
in the effects loop of a mixer and mute the dry signal, and I swear
you'll never notice it.  I'd trade it's slight latency for it's higher
sound quality any day.

A lot of people stay it's "awkward" to use live.  After becoming used to
the Repeater, I kind of feel the EDP is awkward to use.  Depends on your
mind set.  The EDP seems to have SO many insert options that it's almost
overwhelming.  Depends on how you work.  I like to work with more simple
looping options, and concentrate on what I put into the loop.  I know
others like to really concentrate on the kind of "live editing" that
Andre has made his style.  I love to hear it, but I'm not sure that's
"MY BAG."  Regardless, I'm totally enjoying the EDP, and especially the
combo of the two.

So, why am I bothering to write this about a dead machine?  Conceder it
an epitaph.  (your welcome Lisa) We could sit around and bash the
Repeater for it's fault's until the cows come home, or we can marvel at
what it does do that's totally unique in our world of looping.  I guess
if it does all that it does with one Motorola DSP chip, then it must be
a marvel of engineering.  I really think that it's "imperfections" had
nothing to do with it's fall, and was more the victim of the deadly
combo of bad marketing and shitty management.  The fact that it has
died, means we'll probably not see another stereo looper for a very long
time, if ever.  That, in my humble opinion, is a damn shame.

Mark Sottilaro