Re: edp +(and unseated eproms)

At 05:33 PM 7/29/2002, Mark Sottilaro wrote:
>Now I just have to reseat the eproms.  I did the Hans method of giving it
>little wack last time it went into a never ending Loop3 cycle, and it went
>right into the rest of the boot process.  What gives?  Is it the humidity
>of
>bonnie bonnie ol' England?  I've *never* had this issue with another
>piece of
>gear, yet it seems to be a fairly common occurance with EDP owners.  I
>wonder
>why?  Is it the ZIF sockets they're using?

it's not just an EDP thing, its a pretty common problem with any
electronics stuff that has connectors or sockets of some kind in it. They
get a bit corroded or dirty over time, and the contacts don't mate
correctly anymore. Since musicians take their gear to a lot of places,
often involving cigarette smoke or going between night air and hot clubs,
it is pretty common. pulling stuff out of sockets and putting it back will
scrape through the goop and get the metal contacted to metal again. You'll
see techs do this sort of thing as an early step in repairing something.
What's strange in your case is the unit is new. Maybe it was sitting in a
warehouse for a long time? Or took a really slow boat through the panama
canal? who knows.

kim