Re: EH 16 second delay

At 3:39 PM -0400 7/31/02, John McIntyre wrote:

>the reverse switch for changing direction of playback

Line6 DL4 and Echo Pro, Boomerang, Gibson Echoplex, and Electrix
Repeater can do this, though perhaps not with the same relationship
to the E-H's delay-with-feedback mode of looping.

>the way the sound responds to changing the delay length (shorter
>delay speeds up the loop, longer delay slows it down unlike some
>delays where changing the loop length merely means moving the end
>point),

Any variable-clock delay will do this. It was the standard in the
early '80s. Lexicon delays all did it.

>the short/long switch where going from the short (8 sec) range to
>long (16 sec) drops the sound down an octave as well as stretching
>the envelope.

This is just a halving/doubling of the clock rate.

>And the aforementioned modulation, of course.

Eventides have lotsa modulation.

The main issue (other than the particulars of specific sound quality
and control layout) seems to be the way variable clock (dynamic
modulation and half/double speed) interacts with feedback, infinite
hold (loop), and the forward/reverse toggle. Individual combinations
of these effects can be got from other units, but the "whole
enchilada" maybe not (unless you have a Kyma system or are working
with MSP).

For instance, I can do a lot with an Eventide H3000 using mod
factory: up to 32 seconds of delay with feedback, modulation, and
infinite loop, but it won't do reverse. With a DSP4000 or Orville I
can do forward/reverse, but it does this in "sampler" mode and won't
function as a long delay within the same program.

So yeah, I guess the Electro-Harmonix is sui generis.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com