Sony VAIO and laptop workstations in general

I'd shopping around for a new laptop that will be my
primary workstation.

right now I'd leaning towards a refurbished SONY VAIO
fx-300.

any opinions on this, insight as VAIO performance as a
workstation? i know dt has one on his gear list, but
does anyone else use a VAIO?

obviously i'm aware that performance is based on the
hardware in the computer, as opposed to the brand
name's on computers. i'm just open any
suggestions/thoughts on this one.

can i run logic platinum on a laptop w/ a PIII 1.0
Ghz,
256+ megs of RAM, and be relatively assured of smooth
performance? what else do i REALLY need to take into
account?

i don't feel like dealing with dell, their laptops
don't come w/ hard drives above 2400 rpm, to my
knowledge, and toshiba is way out of my price range
right now. (i start at oberlin in two weeks: $35,000 a
year, dude!)

thanks,

phil

=====
"Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what
it's like to live inside somebody else's skin.
 It is the knowledge that there can never really be any
peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally
for you too."
                                   -Frederick Buechner
"The jewel is in the lotus."