Re: Sony VAIO and laptop workstations in general

     Hello. I am using a Gateway PIII/1.066 GHz, with a Layla24 laptop.
I've
got 640 MB RAM. For the most part it works very nicely. Especially with
Reaktor3, SoundForge6 and Sonar2. I have gotten 10ms latency for
processing a
live input thru several DX effects.
     I'm using WinXPpro. The big downside to this so far is the fact that
WinXPpro doesn't seem to want to let you change IRQ assignments. At least
no
help whatsoever from Gateway's supposed tech support. With some software,
am getting some glitches in the audio due to the fact that the graphics
card
(along with everything else) is sharing IRQ 10 with the cardbus slots.
From
what I have read so far, the changing of the IRQs occurs in the BIOS
(WinXP).
I'll be taking that adventure this week. I'm thinking that I might have to
purchase a new BIOS for my laptop. Anyone have any good suggestions on
this?
     A very important factor in any computer, but especially a laptop, is
the
quality of the components used. I bought the Gateway because it has
cardbus
slots and a Firewire port that meet the specs of the various audio
interface
manufacturers. No matter what laptop you buy, call the manufacturer up and
get them to tell which cardbus and Firewire cards they are using in their
units. Double check those components with the audio interfaces that you
wish
to purchase. This may save you from a lot of disappointment. Hmmm... maybe
it
would be good to ask them in advance if they are going to help reconfigure
IRQs, etc.
     Marc