Re: Four amps at once

  Chris, thanks for the in-depth post.  According to what I'd heard, the
reason he  supposedly used the three banks of four was so he could apply
separate effects as you mentioned to each amp, in a single bank, and then
switch to a second or third bank if he needed to, as he'd apparently felt
that the AC-30s weren't very reliable.  <smile>  -so the set-up was a
redundant back-up just in case.  <smile>  who knows though, I'm sure
there's so much mis-info going around about famous players it's not even
funny!   lol!    I think people should just get a sound they like, and
become famous themselves!...    lol!  -Have a great day!...

Smiles,

CQ

At 11:34 AM 8/15/02 -0700, you wrote:
><<Brian May uses or used, three banks of four Vox
>
>  AC-30s each, which he'd switch between, so
>there may be some info regarding this in regard
>to his
>set-up.  -Best of luck...
>
>I think each bank of AC-30's had 3, not 4 amps in
>it, but I'm not sure, I'd have to check one of my
>old Queen videos.
>
>What he'd do is feed his guitar into a delay unit
>(originally a customized Echoplex, but I believe
>he later upgraded to a digital delay) set for a
>second or so of delay, with the feedback set for
>one repeat. He'd feed the dry output into one
>bank of amps, while the wet output was fed into a
>second delay unit, set up the same way as the
>first. From the second delay, he'd feed the dry
>signal (which was in fact the wet signal from the
>first delay), into a second array of amps, while
>the wet signal went into the third bank of amps.
>
>What this allowed him to do was to play
>something, and have it repeat back twice,
>allowing him to do live harmony riffs and counter
>melodies onstage, without overdubbing. Dunno if
>this would be considered looping or not, but an
>excellent idea of what he did can be heard on the
>Live Killers version of Brighton Rock (he did it
>on the studio version on Sheer Heart Attack, as
>well, but that solo is very short).
>
>The advantage of using three amps (or three banks
>of amps) was that it prevented things from
>getting muddy sounding. Each part was very
>distinct and clearly heard because no new parts
>were coming out of the same amp. And of course,
>one could pan the individual amps so that, say
>the original came out of the center of the mix,
>first repeat hard left, second repeat hard right.
>

>Now, how he was able to run multiple amps in each
>bank, I don't know. Eventually, he started using
>a pedal board that was built by Pete Cornish, so
>I imagine that from that point on, he could have
>(and probably did) use a splitter that Pete built
>(if memory serves, Pete sells these, along with
>other things, on his website). I suppose if you
>had the cash, you could at least have Pete build
>you what you want, you'd get the best quality,
>best sound, etc, and it'd be indestructible on
>top of that.
>
>I recall that Whirlwind used to make a four way
>splitter, it was a rack unit. They had an
>optional footswitch unit tha went with it. You
>could also use it the other way around, to sum
>four seperate inputs (you could, say, plug four
>guitars in). Dunno if they still make it though.
>
>And of course, you could simply buy three A/B/Y
>boxes, plug your signal before the amp into box,
>then run each of the outputs into one of the
>remaining boxes, and leave all three set on Y,
>and PRESTO! Four outputs!
>
>=====
>May you never thirst!
>The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris
>
>"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones

>HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
>http://www.hotjobs.com

---