Re: looping article | history

At 11:14 AM -0400 8/24/02, Hedewa7@aol.com wrote:

>it is missing some crucial elements as regards lineal descent to the
>present.....

I'm aware of that and invite all of you to make suggestions and
contributions to a revision and expansion of the articles. I was
under deadline and didn't do as good a job as I'd like in some areas.

The historical part is stronger up through the '60s, particularly
with respect to who did what, when. The period after that is almost
entirely a technical survey. It is probably incomplete even at that,
but in particular I didn't delve into the "who, when" aspects of the
1970-to-present development. That's where I could use some help,
because frankly I wasn't paying much attention to what other people
were doing during that period and serious historical documentation
hasn't been easy to find.

I encourage an open discussion of this topic here on the list. For
one thing it will help me in my historical researches and help to
insure that critical lines of development don't get ignored in
anything I publish on the audioMIDI.com site or elsewhere in future.
For another thing it will be an opportunity for people here to reveal
their own looping heritage.

For instance, I was personally introduced to the idea of
double-tracking by Peggy Lee's demonstration on the Walt Disney show
in 1955 (the Siamese cats in "Lady and the Tramp"), and to tape speed
change as an effect at around the same time (Chip an Dale). I
encountered reverse playback in the early '60s (WBZ DJ Dick Summer)
and musical uses of tape loops in 1966 (the Beatles "Tomorrow Never
Knows" and Steve Reich's "Come Out"). I learned of dual-deck tape
delay with regeneration through Pauline Oliveros's "I of IV" in 1967.
I started doing tape multitrack recording in 1966 and tape
manipulation in 1969. My first performances with tape delays were in
1976 and my first work with tape loops was in 1977.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com