Re: EDP Hardware Interface

On Saturday, August 24, 2002, at 04:13  PM, David wrote:

> What you guy are pointing out to me is that many more features are
> accessible from the existing EDP hardware interface than I'm taking
> advantage of.
>
> And that some others capabilities are easiest accessed via a midi
> controller.

Today's time with Andre Lafosse pointed out that it *really* is almost
necessary to have a MIDI controller to work with loop 4 to it's
fullest.  The bad part was that he can do a LOT of cool stuff with a
Digitech MIDI controller that's no longer made.  I'm not even sure if
there is a really good MIDI control pedal still made.  If so, they seem
to be as expensive as the gear they're trying to control for some reason.

>  Dealing with all these variables/parameters live and while playing
> with other people is just a headful of stuff to keep track of.

Watching Andre was pretty damn amazing.  My brain froze at least a dozen
times during the presentation.  The EDP is capable of so much.  It's
almost too much.  I think at least I know what's possible now.  I doubt
I'd remember exactly how to get it, but I'd have someplace to start.
I'll have to experiment with how changing the length of loops will
effect things while being synched to a MIDI clock.  I'm not sure a lot
of what Andre and Matthais do would work with the way I play off
sequences.

>  I guess I'm just a bit of a bonehead and hate dealing with manuals.

The Echoplex has a manual?  I thought it only came with a reference
manual!  I'm being sarcastic here.  Many threads have dealt with the EDP
manual.  All the functions are in alphabetical order, which is totally
arbitrary.  It makes no sense when trying to wrap your head around
trying to make the EDP do what you want it to.  Again, I will say I
learned more in the half hour I spent at Andre's site than I did from
reading the manual.

One thing Jon Wagner and I talked about today was that we're really
starting to grok the amazing possibilities of the EDP, but at the same
time, we're realizing at the true wonders of the much maligned
Repeater.  Both are such amazing boxes that no looper should be without!

Marklar