Re: Santana no longer influential?!?! HORSE CHIPS!!!!!!

>Maybe Carlos Santana
>(or Jerry Garcia, or Frank Zappa or any of a
>number of other musicians) don't have the same
>kind of mass influence they had 25-30 years ago,
>but don't tell me they didn't influence anyone
>during the last 20 years!!! I can tell you're
>flat out wrong, even if I'm the only guitarist
>under the age of 30 to be influenced by these
>guys, you're still wrong!

No one said that Santana didn't influence anyone, or that he was in any way musically inferior to <insert latest band here>.  I'm sure most professional guitarists have been hugely influenced by him, but the fact remains that the music business--and instrument dealers, guitar mags, and so on--aren't always primarily geared towards professionals.  They're geared toward rich suburban kids and weekend musicians who make alot (or their parents do) more money than your average jobbing musician does.  Not that I have anything against those two groups, mind you.  It's just that if you walk into a Guitar Center, you'll see what I mean...

Best,

jonathan