RE: Repeater spotted for sale

Hey -c-,

I don't know if I understand what people (or, more specifically, you) mean
by "decomposition". But I think there are some cool things you can do with
Repeater (or partially an Echoplex) which you might find appealing,
especially when using it together with a sequencer. While I haven't done
this myself, I guess that by clever combination of slip, trim, start/stop,
reverse, pitch shift and changing speed, you can do some crazy things like
reordering the sequence of events in a certain loop, most of it
independently for the four tracks. Say you've got a four-bar rock drum
groove on stereo pair 1+2 (recorded at home, perhaps from some original
source) and a i-iv-VI-V synth chord progression on track 3 (recorded at
home
with your Prophet or during performance from one of your synths). You could
then reorder the synth chord progression to V-iv-i-i, or you could use the
beginning of bar 3's bass drum to run this track via a separate output
through a filter, filter the bass drum, and rerecord this to track 4, which
you would then use to turn your rock drum groove into a house drum groove
by
slipping the very bass drum (now on track 4) to every beat. This has so far
happened without time compression and pitch shift. Then, by varispeeding
the
whole thing and at the same time pitchshifting track 3, you could double
the
speed of the drum groove, while keeping the synths at same length and
pitch.
You might then resample the bass drum from track 4 into your pitched drum
loop, and while having the four bars run into a D2 delay, put the muted
Repeater into reverse and overdub something else onto track 4, before
killing the D2 and at the same time returning the Repeater to forward and
unmuting it, to have your "organic" reverse stuff on track 4 run with the
groove (which you might then also run through a Kaoss Pad via the effects
loop).

Speaking of the Kaoss Pad, a quick look on my big rig's patchbay shows me
the current patchwork repeater effects send->Kaoss Pad->repeater effects
return :-)

The above are just a few weird ideas, and I guess it would be extremely
challenging to do this in "realtime" (i.e. by sending the necessary CC by
hand), but I guess if you assign a few "macros" to hotkeys in your
sequencer
(I think for example Cubase does this, but I haven't worked with Cubase
intensively for something like 3 years), you could realize some of these
functions and still retain a "spontaneous" element.

And think about using effects in general. Lots of effects. The "cold and
emotionless" synthesizers do gain so much from the use of effects.

And again, here are lots of people who do crazy things with an EDP, and
there are some people who do crazy things with EDP and Repeater be sure to
get their input!

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de