Re: Nu Metal vs. Steve Vai vs. Santana

>At 08:17 PM 8/26/2002, Matthias Grob wrote:
>
>>>I'm sorry if the world doesn't share your tastes in music.
>>
>>I dont know where you get all those informations from so exactly,
>>but somehow I doubt you should talk about "the world"... where I
>>walk, nobody mentions Eminem and I do spend time with young people.
>>They listen to tango and discover Pink Floyd (no, not because their
>>parents advise them!) and...
>
>I guess you will be shocked to learn who the number 1 artist in
>Switzerland is right now:
>
>Eminem!

I am not shocked not to know who is nr 1 here, because I never cared about.
I am surprised thought that its possible to stay 3 month here and
talk to musicians and nephews and watch TV and never cross nr 1...

>look at those charts. One thing you notice is the same artists
>appear again and again on all the charts for a large part of the
>world. The same types of music appear again and again. Globalization
>affects popular music culture too. Most of the artists are from the
>US, followed by Britain. Some parts of the world support their
>native musicians better than others, like Brazil, but most don't. No
>need for anecdotal evidence, the numbers are there.

do they tell you more about Globalization or about the quality of US
artist?

>That's why I think if real-time looping techniques became associated
>with a popular wave of music culture, looping itself would rapidly
>become popular worldwide. There is no sort of advertising that could
>reach all over the world in the way a few popular musicians can.

certainly true, but pretty out of reach

>Then there's the soundtrack for the movie Coyote Ugly, on the
>catalog charts for 107 weeks. I can't explain that one.
>
>kim

so no reason to give up
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org