Re: Synths considered harmful

> Guitar synths make matters worse. If a guitar player is looking to expand
> his or her tonal palette, a guitar synth will probably win out over a
> looper.

now dat's jes' plain silly. i'd love to have a repeater, etc. but i'm in
the do with
what you have tax bracket and what i have is what i've found at yard sales
and in
dusty corners of farmtown music stores over the past 20 years. among the
collection
are some synth and guit synth gems i'd never part with(x911, gr300,
juno106,
cz,dx,etc.). i've got it all fired up in space modular wheatfield mode
underneath a
big nightsky delay. technically it's not looping, but everything's usually
based
around 1 or two chords and subdivisions therein, lots of textural fader
and knobplay
juxtaposed with cassettes of jerry falwell's paranoid armmaggedon and how
to stop you
cat from scratching, etc. ok ok it's techno, but it's more root than
rave(not that
there's anything wrong with rave) cuz i incorporate things like kalimba
and dulcimer
and a straight guitar signal in there somewhere. anyway the point i was
gonna make is
umm would i be allowed to loop my gr300 or my dulcimer thru the x911 and
still be
welcome on the list? in the definition of looping i think that sound
source and
procedure is secondary to the fact that an aurally encompassing
meditative(or
abrasive) space is created. it's only the impact that matters. how the
performer
achieves it is all wrapped up in the magic of individuality. woh, sappin'
out a
little here...
seriously tho', with a gr33 and an edp before me and solomon saying choose
one and
the other shall twice be halved in three, i would'nt hesitate to save the
looper.
just don' ask me to trade in the x911 for one. well... maybe if it was
straight
across...
ah dunno, how can one even compare - a guitarist looking to expand his
tonal palette
in the context of a regyahler band(one that has at least 5 songs under 20
minutes)
may very well choose a gr33. a guitarist with a pipeful of divinorium
looking for a
ready guide in some celestial voice may very well choose a looper, or a
shortwave, or
geddy lee. no not geddy lee. nevermind.
loop good. synth good. ith awl goood.
shayne