Re: Popularity/influence/etc.

> > Hip-hop/Rap = sampling and presequencing, rather than loop
> > performance Hip-hop/Rap = everything done in the studio
> > Hip-hop/Rap = amazingly lackluster live shows for audiences
> > who've never seen better
>

> This is not true in every case. I was checking out a gig with Gang Starr
> and the energy level and fluent improvisation skills those two guys
> (with guests) had on stage was nothing but the same expression that The
> Jimi Hendrix Experience and other "power trios" put out thirty years
> earlier. DJ Premier played two turntables, with vinyl records, at the
> same time - keeping the beat (often heavily syncopated with lots of
> stops and breaks) on one while "soloing" scratch on the other. He was
> backing up the rap tightly and sometimes "pushing it", but with "big
> ears", while Guru to some extent made up the lyrics right there on the
> fly! Nothing pre-recorded about that IMHO ;-)
>
> But of course there are lousy rappers and scratches. But haven't we seen
> way too many lousy guitarists for some time? Another thing is that not
> every young scratcher have the money to print out his beats on vinyl -
> which is what you have to do to be able to play them like an instrument.

Hmm, since watching members of the invisible scratch pickles shamelessly
freaking over dub plates at a club, I've become more and more skeptical of
the 'turntablist' community. The Jazzmatazz/Gangstarr collective are
definitely some of the more genuine hip hop acts I've seen.

BTW, the beastie boys DJ has an EDP in his rig. I've seen videos of him
using it extensively.

bIz