RE: headphones

Peter,

thanks for your hint regarding the head-fi web page. I just took a quick
look at both the site and at the AKG website to see if the two pairs of
cans
I do own do still exist (and/or are mentioned) - a K270 and a K500.

The K270 came out as a winner in a personal listening contest I conducted
some 13 (?) years ago, and were actually the only ones in the price range
below 700DM (at that time ~$400?) that could compete with a pair of Staxes.
I got the K500 ~4 years ago when a Hi-Fi shop threw them out at something
like DM99, and I simply had to get that pro-looking AKG for that price
without checking it out (seems the specific model was at that time replaced
by the K501 ?)

While I still do think the 270s do sound more "real" (as far as this can be
said about any headphones), when musicking, I do mostly use the K500s,
simply for their great comfort and their very "open" sound character. So
based on my limited experience, while the K270s are the ones for anyone
doing sound engineering jobs with cans, the 500s are the ones to wear when
simply strapping on the bass at midnight, turning on the looprack and
playing away...

        Rainer

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de