Re: Feedback Pedal

At 8:23 AM -0500 9/16/02, M. Steven Ginn wrote:
>I have connected a BOSS FV-50L pedal with a mono cable coming from Out 1
>to the Feedback jack on my EDP.  For some reason, I don't seem to get
>any response or control of Feedback.  Is there some other configuration
>item that I am missing?  Is this not a good choice for a pedal?  What am
>I doing wrong?

You are not connecting the pedal properly. You either have to use an
expression pedal, the kind with an attached TRS cable, or you have to
use an "insert" cable with your FV-50L.

One end of the insert cable has a TRS (stereo) plug and the other end
has a pair of mono plugs. Plug the TRS end into the feedback jack and
plug the mono ends into the input and output jacks on the pedal.

To understand why this works, and why using a mono cable doesn't
work, you must know that the feedback jack supplies a DC voltage to
the ring of the plug that is plugged into it, and this voltage is
scaled by the potentiometer in the pedal and then returned to the tip
of the plug. You need to use a cable that will feed the signal from
the ring through the pot and back to the tip. A mono cable won't do
that.

You can also build a cable with an assortment of adapters, but this
will be less reliable.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com