Re: linguistic abuse (was "Loop approach")

>Dr. Z said...
>>I think most people don't even think about what words literally
>>mean; they just mimic what they hear other people say.
>
>At 7:18 PM -0300 9/26/02, Matthias Grob wrote:
>>This is especially true for foreign languages.

Dr. Z again:
>...One thing I find myself doing is to fall into the cadence of the
>other person's language, so I end up speaking English with the other
>person's accent. It's quite unintentional!

someone once explained me that they call this a disease!
I have that too, especially with the swiss accents, and sometime
people become offended because they feel we are joking, while its
basically a nice approach effort, no?

>But when the conversation is in ASCII most of the time there IS no
>cultural context, and there is certainly no aural sense of an
>accent. What might in person be a charming "flavor" to the
>conversation seems in plain text to be a bit clumsy. This is
>sometimes misinterpreted, and proper respect isn't always given to
>the foreign writer of English. I've been guilty of it. Most of the
>time there's an easy way to avoid making that anglocentric mistake -
>just look at the return address.

you, guilty? exactly you? No...

Hans then:
>After having met Matthias, I find myself reading his e-mails with my
>best impersonation of his accent, and now they all make perfect
>sense!
>
>I know that I'm guilty of assuming the meanings of and/or misusing
>musical terminology, having not been classically trained.

And I am guilty of not beeing understood by those who have not met me? :-)
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org