watermusic

Funny: I wrote this one about a month ago and suddenly had doubts
whether it is just a point of vew, but now suddenly you talk about
water, too, so I throw it in.
As to the observation to the elements, sex would rather be associated
with fire...
Do the loops extinguish fire? ;-) - nono, we can easily go too far
with this, but some observations may be interesting...

What does it so much have to do with water?

Fripp called an early family of (classic?) loop pieces watermusic...

A big part of my listeners kept relating my music to water, so I
created some more clearly water related sounds and gave it the name
AguArianA, mainly "para pensar" which is recorded near the San
Francisco river...

Last year I came to Switzerland with the idea to play at a lake side
for sundown - and I managed to do it a few times (although its in
general against the law to play any amplified music outdoors!) and
repeated this year. I hope it slowly turns into a ritual (recently I
am only interested in doing things that have some of this energy).
Then i realzed that Mich Gerber, the contrabassist that makes most
success with looping did a tour through the lake sides, after
sundown, though. Fits. Nice fragile music...

Also Stefan Keller had mounted a show with his flutes in a almost empty
pool.
I also visited him this year and we had a laugh when we both played
similar water sounds on totally different instruments with different
processing...

Rick Walker also played water nicely in Berkeley last year...

Ok, some musicians play with air all the time ;-)
Do we play earth when we hit a skin?
Firy music does not sound like fire to me. I rather hear distorted
chords...

Either I simply tend to the watery wing of the loopers family
or the loopy structures remind of water because its the element that
creates visible waves most obviously.
the whind is not repetitive easily, is it? But it creates dunes...
actually I did associate loops to desert before, I named a piece "hot
sand" (is on my site) and another "deserto"...
Sound is a wave in air... but not seen
a small fire sounds somehow similar to a small waterfall...

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org