Re: Reflections on right brain/left brain approaches to gear

am 27.09.2002 7:43 Uhr schrieb Mark Sottilaro unter sine@zerocrossing.net:

> On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 04:58  PM, S V G wrote:
>

>>      After just posting that last bit on the FCB1010 MIDI pedal, I
>> started ruminating a bit on the
>> process that I go through as a musician in developing a relationship
>> to my gear.
>
> I used to totally be a "stomp box guy" until I started playing/singing
> in a pop band.  I quickly realized that the "dance" I had to do to go
> from a clean chorus sound to a heavily distorted lead sound with delay
> was too much to deal with.  I ended up buying my first rack mounted
> multi effects processor then.  My lack of money caused me to sell my
> stomp boxes to buy the ART SGX2000.  I guess it was OK, and it did, in
> fact, do things that my current boxes don't do, but I missed my boxes
> when ever I was home alone just playing or doing some loose improv
> stuff with friends.  I still do!
>
> On the other hand, I don't miss the noise and large floor board the
> stomp boxes are famous for.  It's all a trade off for sure.  I couldn't
> do what I need to do with stomp boxes anymore.  Most had no easy way to
> control settings with your foot.  Unless you bought an expensive
> router, you were stuck with the configuration you set up unless you
> were  going to start pulling cables in the middle of a show.  Now I
> have stuff that does all this in software.  I press a foot switch and
> I've got a new amp, and a half a dozen stomp boxes all configured
> exactly as I like, AND I can control any of the parameters with a
> pedal.  That's right *ANY* parameter.  Often multiple parameters at a
> time with one pedal.  Try that with a bunch of stomp boxes.  WHERE IS
> YOUR GOD NOW?
>
> And some multi effects processors are for sure better than others.  My
> Digitech 2120 SUCKS to program, though I now know it intimately.  I
> wouldn't have designed it the way they did.  Judging by the new stuff
> Digitech is putting out (GNX line) they wouldn't either.  All their new
> stuff uses a "matrix" editor, like the EDP and AdrenaLinn.  This makes
> it way easier to program on the fly, even with a tiny LED display.
> Electrix got it right, but I think the world is going toward better UI
> in the world of audio gear.  It can only get better!
>
> My advise is to spend some time getting to know your clunky Roland
> interfaces.  Once you start understanding their nature, it will all get
> a lot easier.  It just takes some time.
>
> Mark Sottilaro

I want to buy a multi-effects processor for my rack. There is so much gear,
I have no idea, which one I should get. good sounding reverbs, good Pitch
shhifter, easy programming and intuitive performance are important for me.
Also I prefer a tool with less functions, I donīt need every effect I ever
heard of in this box. Anyone who can help me?
Thanks Carsten