Re: What Looper's Delight is (was Re: hardware sequencers)

Yep, ASP is for NT/Windows 2000 servers.

Yes, I know a bit of PHP and even Perl (not as well as ASP, but what the
hell).  Don't have any of my own code to leverage, but there are a LOT of
PHP and Perl resources on the net, where we can find some source code to
start from, or just drop in as-is.

Is it too far off topic to start a discussion of the basic wants/needs of
the group?  Please recognize - I can't promise that I'll deliver all (or
any!) of what's discussed, but it might make sense to have *some*
discussion
before we head off into the weeds.

To steer this a bit, I wonder which of the following features might be
important to LD'ers:

1) administrator defined "areas" for files
2) the ability for users to rank and/or comment on files
3) download counter statistics
4) user control over modification/deletion of files they've uploaded to the
site
5) searching for files by various criteria (new, size, description, etc)
6) sorting and other fancy display techniques
7) other stuff?

Or, are LD'ers content to start with a simple, single-area, non-sorted,
non-searchable list?  I'm concerned that if we do that, and it grows
unmanagable, we'll want to port to something fancy like the stuff listed
above.

And for you, Kim:

I assume you want a very low maintenance system from the administrator's
persepctive?  Any general statement on what kind of administrative tasks
are
reasonable for you to take care of?

Do you want to connect the subscription to the Loopers-Delight list to the
ability to upload to the site?  If so, does the LD list maintain a file of
subscribed email addresses on the server, that the file management
interface
can get to for authentication?   This is where it might get hairy...  so
I'll ask...  is it reasonable to disconnect these two things, and let
non-subscribers register for file management separately?

Maybe you want to take some or all of this offline, so I'll stop there.

Any input on the LD'ers questions is appreciated, either on or off list.

Doug