Re: MIDI files problem on a Mac:

>The file was in the .zip format and I used stuffit to decompress it.

I've been bitten by this before. Try this...

Launch Stuffit Expander, go to Prefences, select Cross Platform from
icons at left. The preference pane will read:

Convert text files to Macintosh format:
  <> When a file is known to contain text
  <> Never

Select "Never" and re-decompress the original .zip files again.

Stuffit sometimes thinks that zipped data files are "known to contain
text" when actually they contain data that can look a little like text,
such as sysx.

Very recent versions of Stuffit Expander don't seen to have this option,
maybe they made it smarter so it doesn't need to be told what to do
anymore...havn't tested that though.