Spreading the word... web sites, lessons, and clinics (was: The Loop Movements)

Mmmmmm kay...

sine@zerocrossing.net wrote:

> Frankly, I don't see why everyone is so up in arms about being
> promoted in some way... any way.

Because,

1) Matthias' original proposal explicitly singled out specific styles of
music as being unworthy of inclusion, because they didn't seem to fit in
with the niche he wanted to promote.  For instance, he said that Rap
music that used a real-time looper wouldn't fit in.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, Hans Lindauer played me some KILLER live
tracks he'd cooked up with a couple of MC's rapping over his EDP-powered
tracks.  According to Matthias' proposal, a guy running two EDP's
simultaneously to cook up live looping music would not be eligible for
this new web site because there are rappers involved.

I don't think that's a good approach, personally.  On the contrary, if
you present hip-hop as being a viable outlet for real-time looping, it
seems abundantly clear to me that you'll be *expanding* the total pool
of potential listeners/customers.  Rap fans who don't dig Frippertronics
now suddenly have a reason to check it out.

2) If you promote something in the wrong sort of way, then you're doing
a disservice to the thing that's supposedly being promoted.  If you put
time and money into advertising something, wouldn't it make sense to
think about WHAT you're promoting, and which audience that thing is
appropriate for?

Matthias' philosophical background, as he's been kind enough to detail
it, is very genuinely interesting and inspiring.  But a lot of people
who use looping are basically interested in creating live backing tracks
for compositions, or other applications far more "mundane" than the
sort of thing Mr. Grob is detailing.

If someone is thinking about spending $650 on an EDP because they want
to be a live one man band, goes to a website, and reads a deep
philosophical treatise about how this is an instrument that's
specifically designed to manifest the 20-year worldview of a Brazillian
musician and inventor, will they turn away because they assume the
instrument was specifically designed for a certain purpose?

If, on the other hand, the web site showcases the overall scope of how
real-time looping can be used, and they can see Jon Brion doing his
one-man-band pop-song thing, they'll see and hear a brilliant example of
exactly what they want to do.  Matthias' spiritual journey can still be
there, and still be accessible for the people who are curious, to
discover as they may.

But if that becomes the whole focus of the angle, rather than one facet
of the overall picture (which is how it truly exists in the world at
large), then the potential for reaching a wider audience is being
diminished, because the target audience is being narrowed.

And this is sort of what bothers me about your comments to the effect
that what I'm doing isn't really looping, Mark.  Your stance on this is
coming from the tape-looping paradigm, which is at least 40 years old.
It's like someone writing off electric guitar playing that makes use of
feedback and distortion because those things weren't in general use in
1962.

These things change with time, man.  They move beyond what they used to
be.  They grow and evolve.

This whole thread is about "defining" what looping is.  My stance is
that it should be defined by what it IS today, in the differeny myriad
ways people use, and have used, the cross-stylistic technique and tool
that it is.

If someone does something with a looper that falls outside of what you
commonly think of as looping, then there are two possibilities: you can
expand your understanding of the concept, or you can apply your concept
to what someone else is doing and say that they don't fit in.  I
personally think that the former option is much healthier, and much more
effective at increasing the overall attractiveness of this "art form."
Which is what the web site is supposed to do in the first place.

> However, I really think that you can be told what an <insert name of
> favorite looper here> does, you can see a demo of it, and still not be
> interested in it... until you use one.
> I think any web page should be a companion to a live
> workshop/demo tour.

I've gotten email from one fellow who bought an EDP specifically because
of my Analysis Pages, and more specifically because of the ambient
material I did five and a half years ago.  Another guy here in LA bought
one immediately after I did a presentation at the LA Composer's Forum
Tech Salon back in August.  Steve Lawson told me he got one after
listening to my recordings from the end of 2001, but I don't believe
he'd ever used one at that point.

And of course there are PLENTY of folks who bought some kind of looper
after seeing/hearing Robert Fripp or David Torn or some other famous
looper do their thing, without having used it themselves.

So, giving people a chance to use one hands-on can certainly help, but I
know from personal experience that giving people a clear, articulate,
well-defined, and musically interesting demonstration of the stuff can
and does go a long way in sparking their curiosity.

> I know I'd do a demo for free if I was also able to plug a CD
> or live show.  Would others be good with this?  That would mean it would
> cost Gibson very little.

To me, this isn't a good idea.  What you're talking about is teaching,
and teaching is a serious proposition.  It requires that a person not
only understand the subject they're trying to talk about in depth, but
are also able to articulate it in an intelligible and attractive manner,
so that other people will be interested and intruigued by what they're
presenting.

Being a teacher/clinician is not easy, and in my own experience it takes
a lot of preperatory time.  It's *work*.  Now, I've been fortunate
enough to start making some money through the EDP this year by doing
some clinics and private lessons, and I'm extremely, enormously grateful
to the people who feel that my time and experience is worth their money.
 But getting to the point where I understand the EDP well enough to
teach someone else about it to the extent that I can, has taken... what,
7 years?

And as any professional teacher will tell you, I cannot afford to spend
the necessary amount of time it takes to make myself an accomplished
teacher within a particular area if I then give away my time.  If people
expect lessons to be taught for free, then potential teachers and
clinicians will need to invest their time in other areas in order to
make some kind of living.  And the quality of the lessons will likely
drop in a dramatic fashion.

So yes: giving demos, clinics, etc. is all a very important part of it.
But it's something that should be treated like a serious professional
endeavor, both by the teacher and by the people being taught.

Add to that the fact that, just as there isn't one way to play the
guitar, there isn't just one way to use an EDP.  Beyond the basic
functionality of what the front panel buttons do, there are stylistic
and aesthetic areas to be considered.  Different instructors or
clinicians are going to have different points of emphasis in what they
do.  It would take me a long, long time to try and use Feedback as
fluidly as Matthias does, for instance.  By the same token, the reason
he invited me up to the LoopIV party was because he personally doesn't
use many of the features in the software upgrade.

One last side thought, regarding your proposal to use clinics to plug
CDs: I get 60 to 70 unique visitors per day on my web site, most of them
coming in via my EDP pages.  The track "Asana" has been downloaded about
1,000 times since May.  But I've sold a very small number of CD's via my
website during that time - certainly not anything close to what you
might hope for, given the amount of traffic I get.  The point here is
that exposure and attention is a useful thing, but it does NOT
automatically translate into CD or merch sales.  Yet another reason why
I'm adamant about lessons and clinics not being treated as freebies or
volunteer work.

Anyway...

Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com