Re: Confessional lists (was Re: recommended recordings - Frisell)

oh god, the phase thing is going unearth some real clunkers in my past...

Phase 1) - Boomtown Rats, Police, Stranglers (too young to buy records, but
would dance to this stuff on the radio.

Phase 2) - Tears For Fears, Paul Young, Duran, Nik Kershaw, Howard Jones
(so
far, so pop)

Phase 3) - (the wilderness years) - Status Quo, Bon Jovi, Def Leppard,
Stryper, Ratt, Europe, Judas Priest - basically any piss poor hair metal...

Phase 4) - saved by goth - The Cure, The Sisters, Mission, Pixies, Throwing
Muses, with a side-order of UKHC - Napalm Death, Extreme Noise Terror, Dr &
The Crippins, BoltThrower (the Peel-listening years...)

Phase 5) - (ickle loop-content) - goth to prog? mmm... Yes, Genesis,
Crimson, Uriah Heep, Rush, It Bites etc... And The Fish by Chris Squire was
the first time I was ever consciously aware of the concept of looping - I
know it was all overdubs, but I did think at the time 'I wonder if that's
doable live, is there a pedal that would do that?' - I was aware of the
Brian May, Brighton Rock thing, so thought you could just get a longer
version of that...

Phase 6) - mullets ahoy! fusion-land ahead - Stu Hamm, Weather Report, Jaco
(though never heard Slang at this stage), also discovered Joni Mitchell and
Bruce Cockburn around this time - musical salvation in sight... Again,
hearing the layered bass on Hejira made me wonder about doing it live...

Phase 7) - strength in diversity - from there, all flood-gates were open,
retaining bits from every phase (OK, except the hair-metal thing...), and
majoring on the singer/songwriters and experimental stuff that I'm now
focussed on. Also widened my funk/disco listening, and became a Stevie
Wonder obsessive. Got sent a JamMan to review for Bassist Magazine, and had
my musical world turn upside down. Read an interview with Michael Manring
which put it into perspective, and a couple of years later heard him play
at
NAMM, which solidified it. At which point loop content became yet another
criteria which might qualify a CD for purchase. Some of it was actually
worth listening to... :o)

cheers

Steve
www.steve-lawson.co.uk