Re: EDP+ in France

At 06:31 PM 10/18/2002, Stuart Wyatt wrote:
>I heard a rumour from a music shop here in Paris that the EDP+ might be
>unavailable in France due to a patent issue. I know that the Repeater was
>banned for sale in France due to the same reason...

I'm familiar with that patent - it's Emmanuel Perille's, inventor of the
DJRND. In my opinion there is nothing to worry about for the EDP because:

a) the claims don't cover the technology in the Echoplex. They mainly
pertain to a method for doing multi-track loops.

b) the echoplex was in production many years before this patent was filed,
so if the claims of the patent were found to cover the same innovations as
the echoplex, the echoplex would serve as prior art and the patent would
be
ruled invalid.

Electrix actually asked my opinion about this a couple of years ago
because
they were hoping to find some existing device to serve as prior art. For
some of the claims there probably is prior art that could invalidate them.
However, I didn't know of any for the multi-track related claims that
might
have specifically related to the Repeater. The Repeater wasn't out yet at
that time so I didn't really know how it would work exactly, but I did
suspect that they might be infringing on Emmanuel's patent.

kim