Re: Terje Rypdal

<<Yep. The track is "Better Off Without You" on
  Rypdal's 1975 album "Odyssey". Cool track. It's
also on ECM's Terje Rypdal "Works" CD from 1985.
I was not aware that the bass playing was
Rypdal's
on that track. I'd always sortta figured it was
whoever his bassist was (Sveinung Hovensjų). >>

Well, it comes as no surprise to find out there
are so many Rypdal fans on this list, myself
included. I got into him back in high school,
which was in the late 80's. I not quite sure how
I first heard of his name, or which album I heard
first. I do remember reading a review of the
album he did with cellist David Darling, Eos, in
Guitar Player. It was described as a "soundtrack
to a movie about a cold, lonely place". THAT
caught my attention right there, and I remember
borrowing Eos from the library (that solo guitar
thing that opens that album really knocked my
socks off), though I can't remember if I ended up
buying any of Rypdal's other albums before that.
I think the first one I bought was my double LP
copy of Odyssey. And then, basically, I started
buying all of the stuff I could find by him, when
I had the money. There were a couple I saw that I
never got (like the second
Rypdal/DeJohnette/Vitous album) but most of the
Rypdal albums I saw in the stores, I ended up
taking home with me. As I understand it, a few of
the LP's I have never came out on CD.
My favorite track from him would probably be
Ballade, off Odyssey, where he alternates that
beautiful trombone melody with the burning guitar
solo, and I also like Per Ulv and Stenskoven
(both on Waves) and There Is A Hot Lady In My
Room And I Need A Drink off The Singles
Collection.

Anyway, getting back to the six bass playing on
Odyssey, I always assumed it was all done by the
bassist who played on that album, Sveinung
Hovensjo (I don't know how to make the o with the
line going through it on the computer, sorry).
He's credited with 4 and 6 string bass, so
whenever I heard something that sounded like a 6
string bass, I always assumed it was him.

Also, am I the only one who has been disappointed
that ECM left Rolling Stone off the CD reissue of
Odyssey? They would have had to make it a double
CD, sure, but they could have filled out the
second with bonus tracks from that era (I know
for the fact there's at least some decent quality
live recordings in existence from that era, I
know of live takes of Rolling Stone and Ballade
that could be used, and who knows if there's any
unreleased studio stuff that could also be
included).

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones