RE: [looper's] RE: Insert mode on loopers...

> the jam-man /and/ the repeater both let you choose between
> overdub and replace, after some fashion. the repeater also
> lets you adjust the level of the iteration while overdubbing,
> so that (in effect) it becomes a long delay line. in this
> mode, it closely resembles a two-revox setup.
>
> I too would have loved to see a looper with two or more
> loops of different lengths running simultaneously; I guess
> that's why I've got two repeaters and two jam-mans.... it
> sucks that even this measure (n.p.i!) on the part of their
> respective designers couldn't prevent both boxes going out
> of production. if I see another jam-man up for grabs, I'll
> grab it. nice and simple.

As a matter of note, the Looper Construction Kit supports "insert" (and
"replace") and many multiple simultaneous loops of different lengths.

Besides a basic iteration attenuator, the examples include several
"mutators" where you can place any arbitrary signal processing (including
outboard boxes) in the iteration loop.  Each time the signal passes through
the loop, more effect is applied.  This effort was inspired by Alvin
Lucier's "I Am Sitting in a Room."  So, for example, you can place a
reverberator in the iteration path to obtain the classic "...Sitting in a
Room" effect.  Or various filters/phasors/waveshapers, etc. to get quite
different effects.

Another way of doing "mutating" is through looping in the frequency domain
instead of the time domain, but that digression is another thread...

Dennis Leas
dennis@mail.worldserver.com