Re: Reviewers/promotional copies

Yeah, I've thought of that too. The difference between the press copies
sent
by a major record label (most "indie" labels as well) and those sent by
individuals is that labels often have several stages of criticism, review
and quality control involved in the process of making a cd. Not only do
they
only put out albums by a tiny fraction of the bands that send material to
them, but each cd released by a band is only a fraction of the material
they
would've recorded at home during the same time span. Half of a producer's
job is to critique the work as it's being made. By the time a cd is sent
reviewers, they've already fixed most of the things that would be brought
up
about an individually created cd.

(I guess this is part of the reason that CD-r's don't sell as well as
cd's.)

While we don't all have the money (or desire) to hire producers, it might
be
a good idea to get the honest opinion of someone familiar with your goals
while you're determining what's going to be on your cd. I've done it on my
last cd, and it was really valuable to hear opinions on the music by
someone
who didn't have a hand in making it. I cut a few songs that sounded too
repetitive or not complete (and I never would've noticed it by myself).

Matt