RE: [looper's]OT RE: A>D

Title: [looper's]OT RE: A>D
>>Hmm, I'm not sure who you are quoting about individual compression, and If this weren't off topic to begin with, I'd be curious as to why you think compressing individual instruments, in a multitrack recording, is somehow worse than compressing ALL the instruments.<<

er, yes. got me. I was ranting, and what's more, ranting on the wrong list. it would've made a lot more sense on the r-to-r list where I usually rant about things like this. fwiw, though, multiband and/or indvidual track compression leads to listener fatigue and is an entirely artificial experience. I am opposed to it especially when it comes to recording drums, all close-mic'd and separately gated/compressed. it's at odds with real-life experiences of dynamics- your own ears have a kind of comp-lim mechanism though it's more mechanical in operation..... the effect of a loud noise in nature is to reduce the perceived level of everything at once. a single compression process on a whole mix mimics this to some degree. multiband or track compression causes the energy level to vary constantly throughout the spectrum, irrespective of the overall dynamic of the content..... yada yada yada....

sorry 'bout that.

duncan.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe