Re: [looper's] RE: Controlling Repeater with fcb1010...

--- goddard.duncan@mtvne.com wrote:

> amongst my reservations is this, though. and please, list-members,
>correct me
> if I'm wrong: you set up the midi channel for each pedal /globally/. so
>if your
> 'peater is on ch15 and y'r fx box is on ch14, they get (say) five pedals
>each
> and that's that. then all of the presets you program will have five
>pedals
> doing something on ch15 and the other five on ch14.

This is only true for the CC pedals, not for the switches. The switches
can send
up to 5 PC msgs (and set the 2 mechanical swithes, and send a CC, and/or a
note)
for each press. The 5 PC msgs are like slots, you can program the preset to
either use it or not. Each of the 5 PC msg "slots" are assigned globally a
midi
channel. So, if you send PC-1 and 2 on channel 1, you'd have three other PC
"slots" that you could send on another channel.

There's a limitation there, while you could send 5 PC messages to the same
device
(same MIDI channel) if that was all you used, if you use different devices
(on
different midi channels), you could send less PC mesgs to any given on for
any
given switch you press.

> what I don't like about the fcb is this: the pedals recall presets in the
> fcb1010. each preset is a snapshot, and may contain up to x-number of
>programme
> changes (5, is it?), two controller values, a note-on, set-ups for the
>pedals
> (upper & lower limits and an initial value). I may have the details
>wrong but
> that's basically what the fcb1010 does. so you might have to programme an
> entire preset and recall it even if all you want to do is issue a single
>PC
> command to (say) put 'peater into record on track 2.

If all you want to do is send a PC to select track 2, all you need to
program for
that switch is that one PC. (If you wanted to start recording on that
track,
you'd have to send two PC msgs, since select track and record are seperate
functions in the Repeaters midi implementation).

> this eats up the fcb1010's
> memory quite quickly and means you can't put things where you want them
>in
> terms of (say) having transport commands at the bottom and track selects
>at the
> top.

My understanding is that it's got enough memory to fully populate all the
presets
(banks 0-9, switchs 1-10 in each). I don't see how memory comes into the
picture.

I don't understand what you're saying about not being able to put any
command
anywhere you want. I programmed my FCB1010 to have transport-related
commands on
the bottom row (reverse, undo, play, record, and tap tempo) and track
select
commands on the top (select track1, 2, 3, 4, and multiply) on the top. BUT
it
would have been no problem to have reversed that, it's what YOU tell it to
send
when you press that button. There's no limitation on what you can send.

> and, as I noted before (excuse the pun), the tap tempo works by sending a
> note-on when you hit a pedal.... but the pedal has to recall the preset
>to do
> this,

Yes, but it only sends what you tell it to, nothing else.

> so those controller values that were initialised by the preset the first
> time you recalled it, they get initialised again. so if one !
> of them is controlling the pitch of one of y'r 'peater tracks and you've
> altered it with a keyboard or the front panel, the fcb1010 is going to
>unalter
> it for you when you go to tap your tempo in.

Nope. On my tap tempo button, the only thing it sends is the PC message
for tap
tempo. It doesn't undo anything that's already set.

Here's an example that should prove this. When I select track 1 (via
switch 6), I
assign one of the CC pedals to control pitch on that track, and the other
control track volume. If I alter the pitch using the CC pedal, and then
press the
swithc I have assigned to tap tempo, the pitch remains altered. If I
select track
2 (via switch 7), I can also change aroudn it's pitch and relative volume.
The
settings I made on track one remain until I step on switch 6 and move the
pedals
again (or use the front panel, or step on a different switch where I send
the CC
command to reset the pitch or volume).

> I wanted a footboard where there were ten switches that could be
>programmed to
> send any midi string I wanted, and two controller pedals that could send
>any CC
> on any channel.

It'll send any midi string you want via the switches (within the
limitations
imposed by their "slot" method of sending PC messages), but the CC pedals
are
assigned global midi channels, so you're stuck there.

> you might be able to use the fcb1010 like you want if the PC's don't all
> coincide, but it's a bit unlikely. and I imagine that I'd have a hard
>time
> working the repeater without the comforting immediacy of the hard-wired
> footswitch (the fs300), however the fcb1010 was set up.

I disagree. The FCB1010 does everything I want to do with my Repeater. The
only
gross limitation I see regarding controlling multiple devices is that the
CC
pedals can only control one device (unless they share midi channels, which
you
don't want most of the time).

Greg