mathematic processes & tone clock

Hi,

Dutch composer Peter Schat works with a tonal system visualised by the
dodecahedron since long. He calls it 'Toonklok', Tone Clock. In his view,
all possible triads within the clock (the 'hours', starting with a triad
based on two minor second intervals) have meaning in relation to each
other, just like the classical triads within major and minor scales have.
With the important difference that the Tone Clock offers so many more
possibilities. All of Schat's music of the past decades is based on it. He
promotes the system wherever and whenever he can, but seems to have little
succes. The trouble is, you have to listen to this kind of music quite
often before you actually hear the interrelations. For the casual listener
it does not distinguish itself from other 'difficult' modern composed
music. And because very few composers work this way we might not live the
day the audience will enjoy this music on a large scale. You can check
some
of the Tone Clock theory on www.xs4all.nl/~taede/toonklok/main-e.html.

Katja Vetter.