Re: strangness indeed

At 10:42 AM 12/26/2002 -0800, Richard Zvonar wrote:

>It's also best to avoid running audio cables parallel to power cables. If
>they must cross each other, try to arrange them to cross at right angles
>to minimize induced noise.

In addition, I heard this little urban legend a few years back: If you
coil
your excess cords in a symmetrical pattern (i.e. a single loop over top of
itself), the signal bleed-through can cause a slight but noticeable
feedback loop hum on a single frequency.  This can supposedly cause a
voltage hum whose frequency is dependant upon the size of the coil
loop.  The solution is to not wind in a single pattern so the signal can't
reinforce a single frequency over and over again.  If true, I'd imagine
this probably has more effect on power cords, since they're more likely to
bleed signal through the insulation.

Like I implied, it's probably a bunch of hooey (I never actually had
enough
time handy with an RTA to run a real scientific test).  But ever since
hearing it, I've always wound my extra cable length in asymmetric
figure-8's.  It's a little thing, but figured it couldn't hurt. <*shrug*>

Relatedly, has anybody ever had any issues with those 6- or 18-inch patch
cables from Tascam (sometimes they're sold under the 'Cable Up'
moniker)?  They're cheap and the perfect size for cabling up a rack.  But
it just seems the cable itself is thin enough that there *ought* to be
some
problem with signal interference, frequency attenuation, or something.  No
evidence here, just paranoia of a product that "seems to good to be true".

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil