Re: American Empire as Gated Community

At 01:55 PM 1/3/2003 +0100, Michael Peters wrote:

>American Empire as Gated Community
>by BRIAN ENO
>
>         [*snip*]
>
>....The result is: Europe has less crime and less
>poverty and arguably higher quality of life than the U.S., which makes
>a lot of us wonder why America doesn't want some of what we've got.

Well, judging from many of the other mailing lists I'm on, there are a
whole lotsa people out there who are actively making/have made plans to
get
some of what they've got -- or, in other words, expatriate their families
out of the US.  Although, to be fair, Europe and Canada seem to be running
about neck & neck in the race for favorite expat destination.

For my part, in only two weeks we'll be taking the family on its first
"exploratory tour" to see which of the destinations that look good on
paper
will actually make a decent home in real life.  We're shooting for the EU
in early 2004...

         -c-

_____
"i want to reach my hand into the dark and *feel* what reaches back"
                                                 -recoil