[looper's] RE: electronic feedback loop

Title: [looper's] RE: electronic feedback loop

>>the loop is, itself, the instrument.....<<

it'll work best, this non-acoustic feedback, if there are a few places in the closed circuit where group delay (the timing of certain frequencies w/ respect to others), amplitude, frequency response, delay &c can be interfered with. that said, I'd like to get one of those behringer feedback destroyers looking up it's own fundament for a laugh.

david, what did you do to y'r guitar to achieve this? or is it all external to the guitar?

I did something similar once- we had the desk-out going to a dat and, for want of somewhere to hear the dat machine back (it was only visiting the studio- I hate the things myself) I put it on another pair of channels on the same desk. naturally, trying to break something (I suppose- a bit of beavis and butthead in us all), I pushed the faders up while the thing was in record. due to some cabling snafu, the channels were reversed and so nothing was really apparent until I swept them both through the mid position on the pans. there was a funny whoop and something peculiar happened to the stereo image. I did it quite a few times before I got bored. pushing the faders up a bit more provoked the whoop without having to mono the returns, but the noise was preceded by more of the phasey weirdness. top notch, and while I hope never to see that particular splat machine again, I will be continuing to "break stuff" in the name of broadening the sonic palette.

hendrix was once greeted by a bbc engineer at maida vale who wanted to know where all the hiss/hum/squealing was coming from and how the band proposed to stop it "ruining" the recording. isn't acoustic feedback really just a form of looping- using the delay twixt amp and pickup to sustain a note?

duncan/r.m.i.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

The contents of this e-mail are confidential to the ordinary user
of the e-mail address to which it was addressed, and may also
be privileged. If you are not the addressee of this e-mail you may
not copy, forward, disclose or otherwise use it or any part of it
in any form whatsoever.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please e-mail the sender
by replying to this message.

MTV reserves the right to monitor e-mail communications from
external/internal sources for the purposes of ensuring correct
and appropriate use of MTV communication equipment.

MTV Networks Europe