Re: TRANSPARENT TECHNOLOGY

At 8:59 PM -0800 1/13/03, Rick Walker/Loop.pooL wrote:
>Much is often said on this list about the technology not getting
>in the way of the music............or making the technology 'transparent'.
>
>I'd like to offer a different perspective:
>
>As loopers, frequently however,  our technology is NOT transparent.

Technological transparency is fine and sometimes preferable, but
sometimes the art is ABOUT the technology and that's fine too. I've
done a lot of visual theater work in which the audiovisual systems
and stage mechanics were out in plain view and were part of the
scenography and even of the content of the piece. I've seen (and been
influenced by) a lot of theater that similarly embraced the
technology for its theatricality (some examples: Soon3, Nightletter
Theater, The Wooster Group). There are similar examples in ostensibly
musical performance (though I'd probably maintain that the focus on
the hardware is essentially theatrical). Turntablism is quite a good
example. So is the work of Harry Partch, where the corporeality of
the performance and the look of the stage were both determined by the
physical nature and presence of the instruments.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com