RE: Loopfest - the opaque veil of technology

>In my own music creations, I take great satisfaction in the refinement
>of it.  The notion that mistakes are allowed (maybe even encouraged?) is
>tough for me.  Even though I too have a grad degree, my approach
>probably has more to do with who I am than what my own particular
>educational.

The conservatory system places an emphasis on "correctness" in playing.
Many of my music school compatriots are afraid of improvisation since it
might mean playing an incorrect note.  This is understandable to an
extent, because one of the major components of a symphony audition is a
precise and correct rendering of the music on the page.  I was just lucky
that I had a lot of experience in improvisation before I started formal
training, it helped me avoid that pitfall.  (studying a lot of composition
was important too)

The beauty of improvisation (IMHO) is that there is no such thing as a
mistake, it's just a motivation into a new direction :)

If you make a mistake, repeat it so everyone knows you meant it that way!

   Kevin

Kevin Goldsmith                          kevin@unitcircle.com
Unit Circle Media                   http://www.unitcircle.com
New From Unit Circle: