From: Stuart Wyatt (Solo String Project)
[mailto:loopers-delight@solostring.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 3:46 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: classically trained?

** Resent to list. I don't know why, but sometimes when I click reply,
it goes to the author, and not automatically to the list... Am I the
only person who this is happening to? **

> so how does a musician become "classically trained"? does this mean
> some
> minimum of standard for specific musical skills (instrument playing
> capabilities, sight reading, arranging, playing specific pieces to a
> standard, etc)

It normally involves brainwashing from an early age, with a lot of
theory and technique. The brainwashing can become so instilled in your
soul, that creative freedom can often be hindered... I know many very
good classically trained musicians who have virtually no
improvisational skills. They can only play what is written in front of
them... but they do that well (unlike myself).

I had classical training from the age of 6 up until 16, whereby I
stopped completely, and discovered drugs, life and emotive freedom. If
I had stayed as a strict classical player, then I don't think that I
could do what I am doing now.

> i took violin lessons as a child using the Suzuki methods ... is that
> considered classical training?

Yes and no. The Suzuki method is great, as it involves mostly practical
work, and playing by ear. I never studied the Suziki method, but I know
many a great improvisor who started that way....
--
Stuart Wyatt (Solo String Project) - http://SoloString.com