Re: DL-4

I think what no one is getting is that the problem people are having is not with a lack of space ship noises. In my mind space ship noises are rather easy to come by. My ring mod, flanger, real analog delay, micro synth, whammy pedal etc. etc. all make great sound effects. The problem is the DL-4 is not capable of producing a smooth change in pitch of a predictable, properly intonated interval. The pitch ramps down if you turn it up. The old low resolution digital delays did this beautifully, so it shouldn't be too much to ask for the DL-4 to do it. Chances are it's probably not something they took into consideration. I don't recommend the distortion modeler. The blades of this swiss army knife are a bit too dull for my tastes. I also don't recommend the fuzz factory, although the fuzz probe is probably better, and I do heartily recommend any other ZVex pedal. The Fuzz Factory just cut too much bass out of my sound. For my money I can buy about 5 or 6 seriously fantastic distortions for the price of a Fuzz Factory. I bought a Monsterpiece PNP fuzz, a script logo MXR distortion plus, a Boss DS-1 modded by Aramat FX, and a Boss Digital Metalizer and I still have money left over from selling my Fuzz Factory. There are also other options out there if you like crazy distortion pedals. - Kirk

 Chris Richards <kohntarkosz@yahoo.com> wrote:

That's funny, MY DL-4 doesn't seem to have a
problem with doing what you're describing. This
is how you get those effects Tommy Bolin and Tom
Scholz used to get out of their Echoplexes. For
years I wondered how Scholz got those rocket
launcher effects on the first two Boston albums
without using a synth, then eventually saw a
bootlegged concert video where it became obvious
that he was running his old gold top Les Paul
through a delay unit that he was manipulating
with a foot pedal (according to the Boston
website, it's a real tube Echoplex and he calls
it his "Hyperspace Pedal"). As far as I'm
concerned, the DL-4 has about everything I would
want from a delay unit. The looping function is
terrible (would have been much better if they had
assigned the tweak and tweeze controls for the
purposes of modulating the loop length, as
opposed to the chorus effect they offer...if I
wanted chorus, I'd turn on my MM-4, seeing as
that's what THAT pedal is there for!).

And while we're on the topic of Line 6 effects,
anyone tried the distortion modeler? How is it?
That's the only one of the four stompbox modelers
I don't have, but I'm thinking about getting one
(though I'm also thinking about getting a Z Vex
Fuzz Factory).

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James Earl Jones