sound art vs. music/cage

i've had an interesting debate w/ a musician friend about cage.
a lot of his stuff i think is more "conceptual art"--the concept is
always great, presentation doesn't always live up to what's on paper.
he made great sounds, and of course used lots of founds sounds (radios,
etc),
but again, i would still say that he's coming out of the tradition of
music--and i think he was trying to stretch the boundries of what is
music, etc. but i would agree that some of his stuff uses elements of
sound art,
certainly using the uncertainty of outside/unplanned noises etc.
he certainly started to blur the lines, which again makes it hard.
s---