Re: tangentially OT: CAGE

Rick, thanks much for the reading, and listening recommendations.  I've
always
been attracted to Zen thoughts, and the Cage book definitely made me more
interested.  I need to hear more of his music!

looping...I think there are some looping connections in JC's work.  In
Fripp's
solo looping pieces, I always find the silences to be as profound as the
notes;
and in that and other looping works, the passage of time between
recognizable
repetitions carries a lot of weight.  Also I know personally I enjoy the
element
of chance in looping; it's near-impossible to predict what will happen as
one's
playing is trapped in time and repeatedly brought back to be combined with
the
present.

JC (and other folks of the 30's and 40's) liked to take familiar noises,
like
traffic, and put them in a different context to change the perception of
the
original.  I think that's kinda like looping; a phrase can quickly become
familiar, and as things are added to it or the original is morphed into
something else, the original retains it's familiarity but becomes something
else.

cagily,

Daryl Shawn
highhorse@mhorse.com