looping with a mic

I just had a bit of a revelation by looping for the first time with a
mic, instead of plugging in my acoustic guitar.  The result was great,
esp. because it allowed me to easily use other instruments (including my
voice).  I was even thinking of using a stereo pair and recording parts
from different positions to place them in the stereo field.

However, the leaking of the monitored signal into the mic became a
problem at one point, but i managed to keep it under control since i had
the input muted in the repeater.  Still, in a live situation this would
be quite a problem. Anybody have experience doing this?  Any suggestions
on preventing leakage, noise gate on the mic maybe?
--
ernesto schnack
http://schnack.does.it

--