RE: delayed meetings (was: OT: ethernet guitars)

At 9:13 PM -0800 1/27/03, Tim Thompson wrote:

>...what the application does is actually *add* delay and
>resynchronize things to a 4-beat pattern.  What I hear during a
>given 4-beat pattern is what the other person played in response to
>what I played in the 4-beat pattern that ended a few beats previous

Dean Jacobs developed a similar system in Max, circa 1995.

I witnessed or participated in a number of networked performances in
those days, transmitting MIDI, audio, and video via an assortment of
connections. In most cases the MIDI data were sent via POTS lines,
sometimes land lines and sometimes via satellite. Delays could be
extreme, but the performers adapted. Terry Riley was particularly
good at this, having decades of experience playing with delay
systems. Dean's offset looping system was an ingenious solution to
the problem.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com