Re: Max/Msp

At 05:49 AM 2/6/2003, Geoff Smith wrote:
>Could anyone tell me what patches, live-loopers are using in MAX/MSP
>the only ones I have been able to find are percolate and fripp
>which both seem quite basic.
>Does one know where any truely cool looping patches are for Max/Msp????
>I am trying to research how loopers are using new technology to redefine
>the
>compositional language of looping, but I am coming up against a brick wall
>as far as MAX/MSP use is concerned.
>Any help appreciated

Personally I haven't really encountered many people doing real live
looping
with Max/MSP. At best I've seen relatively primitive long delay line type
stuff, but nothing remotely like the type of interactivity of hardware
devices like the repeater/jamman/edp etc. Another MSP application I
remember somebody on the list developing was called Procrastinator, but
again it was just 4 delay lines in parallel and not much else.

Of course there is Radial, which is really more of a "live-remixing"
application aimed at looped playback, mixing, and filtering of
pre-existing
samples. More like a phrase sampler that a looper. It's pretty nice for
that, but quite different from the sort of looping most people here are
interested in, where they are really creating all the sounds in the loop
on
the fly and interacting with it in real time as they play.

If you come across anything else, please let us know. I suspect part of
the
problem is that crafting the interface and feature set of things like the
edp or repeater takes years of effort and input from dozens (or even
hundreds) of users to really refine the ideas. It is not easy at all. I
imagine that most people working in Max/MSP don't remain so dedicated to
the projects they start, and lose interest long before they get that far.

kim