Re: OLD FART LOOPERS (was average looper age)

>--- Tom Ritchford <tom@swirly.com> wrote:
>
>>  When I first started sampling...
>>  [clicks dentures together and wheezes]
>>  we were sampling on a PDP-11!
>>
>>  It had 64MB of memory and a 20MB removable disk
>>  where the disk driver was the size of a washing machine!
>
>If it was the same disk drive I used on the old PDP at my school, it was
>only
>12MB. Had a disk pack that was about 2" tall that snapped into place with
>handle on the top. The product name escapes my feeble memory.

hmm, I was PRETTY sure it was 20MB.  it was an RLX something-or-other.

the PDP-11 was a GREAT machine -- I wrote a "complete" music
language in it called CLOD.  the timing was all free-running
so if you added new elements into your piece, the pitch
of everything would drop -- it actually sounded great but
of course wasn't very disciplined.

     /t
--

http://loopNY.com ......................An "open loop": shows every